Cardenal Rodrigo de Castro
Facing south at the Cañol del Sil in the Ribeira Sacra (Galicia, Spain), our sun-drenched vines produce an intensely flavored red wine that has been a 2,000 year secret to the world. These visually stunning vineyards are carved into the steep slopes rising from the Sil River to create a perfect micro-climate for our Mencia grapes. They grow free from pesticides and added fertilizers, sharing flavors with the local apricot, lemon, orange, and lime trees.
Our 17th-century bodega tends the vines and produces award-winning wines dating all the way back to the Roman Empire. That same care for the quality of our soil, grapes and aging process remains untouched, yielding intense flavors that invite you to keep coming back for another sip. This young and medium-bodied red is balanced with an elegant finish that produces intense flavors to make our wine robust and frank on the nose.
A tribute to the noble tradition of winemaking, our Cardenal Rodrigo de Castro Vintage perfectly embodies the beauty and elegance of Galicia that is sure to make the centerpiece of your gatherings. Cheers!
- 2012 Distinguido Gallaecia Cardenal Rodrigo de Castro 2011
- 2010 XVIII International Mountain Wine Competition in Aosta (gold medal)
- 2008 1st prize TASTING COMPETITION OF GALICIAN RED WINES IN EUSKADI
- 2008 16ème CONCOURS INTERNATIONAL DES VINS DE MONTAGNE, mención de honor
- 2007 3 prize VII Tasting competition of Galician red wines in Euskadi
- 2006 Third prize at the VII Tasting Competition of Galician Wines in Euskadi.
- 2006 Distinction Association of Sumillieres Gallaecia, 2005 harvest.
- 2006 First prize Ribeira Sacra Wine Tasting 2005 harvest.
- 2005 First prize Amandi Wine Festival, 2004 harvest.
- 2005 Winner at the XIV International Mountain Wine Competition Aosta- Italy, 2004 harvest.
- 2004 Winner at the XIII International Mountain Wine Competition Aosta- Italy, 2003 harvest.
- 2003 Winner Gallaecia
- 2001 Silver medal at the International Mountain Wine Competition Aosta- Italy.
- 2002 Diploma at the International Mountain Wine Competition Aosta- Italy.
- 2002 Winner at the Amandi Wine Festival in Sober.
Ribeira Sacra DOP (Denominación de Origen Protegida)
Primary Flavors & Aromas
Primary Flavors & Aromas
Serve at Cellar temperature (13-16°C / 55–60°F). A regular red wine glass is recommended for this wine. Decanting this wine for 45 mins is recommended but not required.
Our cellars are small, but our vintages are full of flavor. Each bottle is hand-produced using the least amount of machinery, keeping the region's tradition of family winemaking alive for more than 2,000 years.
All of our wines ship globally from our bodega in Spain. Some geographical areas may be restricted.
UNESCO World Heritage Candidate
The stunning terraced vineyards carved into the steep slopes makes this Biosphere Reserve a World Heritage candidate.